February 26, 2012

The Walking Dead 2x10 Review


18 Miles Out

This episode is my favorite since the show returned from the hiatus. There have only been three so that's not really saying all that much, but it's the truth. We had some really amazing scenes between Shane and Rick. Those two put everything on the table and I really loved how Shane couldn't even look Rick in the eyes. I know the show is trying to make Shane more of a bad guy and make Rick the hero, but I think that exchange alone shows that he's not a bad guy. He's clearly a little messed up and honestly feels he can protect Lori, Carl and the baby better than Rick can, but there is still a hint of shame in what he did. 

Once again Shane tells Rick about what it was like when he came for him. We've seen that in flashbacks and know that he's telling the truth. Obviously that's a luxury Rick doesn't have but I think we would have much more negative feelings toward Shane if we never got to see that scene. We don't know of course if he ever had his eyes on Lori beforehand, but even if he did I don't think that matters at all. I mean it's not like he planned any of this. 


Once again I'm going to say that these reviews won't include anything about the comic books so I'll have to hold some things in. I'll simply say that when I saw a specific location I got very excited and thought maybe the show would get back to the comic. It appears that is not the case though.  I suppose they could go back there, but the way the episode ended it seems unlikely. Rick and Shane get into it again in this place and this was yet another amazing exchange between the two. I love that the show really forces us to make the decision. Both of them make arguments that make sense. In this specific incident I agree with Shane. It all comes down to needs. As Rick says, "there are no rules anymore". Rick has killed people, and he didn't seem so upset that Shane killed Otis. Rick understood, and we know that that event has scarred Shane. I think killing the guy is best option because if they keep him alive things are harder. What happens if he escapes? What happens if he's dangerous? Even if he's a nice guy, he's yet another mouth to feed. While murdering someone is horrible, I think that it just gets rid of a big problem. Not killing him would only make your conscience feel better, and they don't have the luxury of conscience. 

This brings us to Lori and Andrea. I loved that someone finally told Lori off. She's been so stupid and annoying for a long time now and Andrea said it all. They've all lost people and in some cases have no reason to live, other than to keep on living. Lori however has got her husband back, her son back, a baby on the way, and another guy who desperately her. She's probably one of the luckiest people in the world right now, and she acts like it. She spends her time worrying about crap, and gets all high and mighty at anyone who doesn't do what she wants. 

Andrea has really come a long way, and has proved on several occasions that she is very important in the group. She's one of the best shots, and is on constant vigil. Andrea has nothing in this world other than the idea that she's protecting this group, and that there are people in the group who care about her and appreciate her. Who the frak is Lori to tell her she doesn't do anything?  I wasn't so happy when Andrea left Hershel's daughter alone because I was hoping she would talk to her about her sister. I also feared that if she had killed herself Maggie and the others might have held Andrea responsible and who knows where that would lead. At the end though, I appreciated what they did with it. Andrea helped her figure out that she didn't want to kill herself. As they say at the end, sometimes you have to cross that line. I hope that the events of this episode will lead to Lori respecting Andrea more, and even more hopefully, Lori will stop being a bitch to everyone.  

The last thing I'll talk about briefly is the scene where it appears Rick is going to leave Shane. I was pretty confident he would return, but after their fight and Shane trying to kill him I wasn't totally sure. It was a great scene and I love for Shane was STILL holding his own. He was like "well that sucks, but I can still get out of this!" 

In related news there was a pretty big casting announcement made for season 3. I won't talk about it much here because of the no spoilers, no comic book talk policy, but it's BIG and AWESOME news.  I'm not so cool with the choice because I don't really see him in the role, but he's such a great actor I think he'll be amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment