February 1, 2012

30 Day Sci-Fi Challenge -- Day 1

Favorite Sci-Fi Movie -- Jurassic Park




I know what some of you are thinking. "Wait, you said Back to the Future was your favorite in the last challenge!" Yes I know, but that was because I had already selected Jurassic Park in that challenge and I don't like doubling up if I don't have to. Jurassic Park is actually my favorite Science Fiction movie. BTTF is close though.

I've loved this movie since the first time I saw it, and it always makes me feel so good. I talked about this movie at length during the Film Challenge so I won't do that again. I will mention two things that I talk about every time this movie comes up. First, the score is amazing. I still listen to it quite often, and I think it's John Williams' best work.


Second, I love the final shot of this movie. When I was young I didn't totally understand it, but I think I do now. For those who don't remember, we see the survivors of the movie flying off on a helicopter. They all look relieved and exhausted. Then Alan Grant looks out the window and sees a flock of birds flying. He gives them a little smile, and the music starts to swell. For me, this is saying that while we can't(and shouldn't) see real dinosaurs we can in a way see them everyday in modern birds. Grant's theory in the movie is that dinosaurs evolved into birds, and since the movie came out that theory has pretty much been proven. With that in mind I definitely thing that was what he was thinking, and that is what that final seen is trying to tell us.

It's a wonderful thought, and makes me smile whenever I think about it. That simply the most recent reason that I love this movie so friggin much.

No comments:

Post a Comment