February 19, 2012

30 Day Sci-Fi Challenge -- Day 17

Best Use of SFX on the Big Screen - Who Framed Roger Rabbit?




Okay let me be clear. I know that this is probably not THE BEST ever use of special effects on the big screen. I mean there's Avatar, and Jurassic Park, and LOTR, and Star Wars I get it. I chose this because I couldn't figure out how to actually gauge this. I mean is it best looking? That's not really fair to older movies, plus CGI starts to look like crap after a few years. Go look at the original release of The Phantom Menace and tell me that CGI doesn't look horrible now even though it was groundbreaking and stunning back then.

I chose Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for this very reason. The movie was made in 1988 and still to this day looks amazing. It's seamless and the toons fit into this world better than almost any big time CGI does today. I worry about a possible remake, or sequel since they would demand massive uses of CGI, or motion capture. While movies like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Hugo, and the upcoming Hobbit look amazing, I honestly thing they would be inferior to this now 24 year old masterpiece.

To add to this, not only is the SFX work perfect, but the way the real people interact with the toons(who clearly were not there during filming) is again some of the best I've ever seen. I dare you to watch this movie and not truly believe that these cartoons were not actually there during filming. That is the true magic that this movie achieved, and it will live on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment