February 2, 2012

30 Day Sci-Fi Challenge -- Day 2

Favorite Sci-Fi TV Series -- LOST




If you look to the left side of this blog, and scroll down a bit you'll see my Top TV Series of All-Time. Lost is #3, but it's the highest of the sci-fi shows. That pretty much made this decision the easiest of recent memory. It's not so cut an dry though because I have a hard time making decisions. I thought about the various Star Trek series, but I've long decided that while I love the franchise, and the universe more than any other, I don't love the individual series enough to put them high on a list. I'm sure many people would be able to, but I can't.


Since I recorded about 150 podcast episodes--the vast majority of them over 2 hours in length--on the subject of Lost I don't think I need to say that I loved that series totally. Sure there were episodes that didn't float my boat, and story lines that annoyed me but that's fine. From the moment is started Lost tugged at a part of my brain that had not been tugged at in a long time. It was mysterious, and grand in a way that only feature films are. The characters were exciting, and portrayed as real people a crazy situation. As the show went on we learned more about them, and found that they are not just lost on an island, they were all lost in their lives. By the end of the series it becomes clear that they each needed this situation to find themselves, but also to help the other people on the island. Something like a massive and confusing group therapy session.

There has been a lot of negative things said about the finale, and the idea that they didn't answer questions. Well, they did answer questions. In fact they answered ALL the important questions, you just had to be patient(BTW, if you still have questions purchase Nikki Staford's "Finding Lost Season 6" by clicking on it in the Amazon link to the right). I get pretty upset when I hear people talk about shows today and say something like "This show answers questions quickly" and mean it as a positive. "The waiting" might be the hardest part, but it's also the BEST part! The waiting allowed a massive and loving community to emerge around the show, and forced us to talk and theorize without end. The waiting allowed more than 20 Lost Podcasts to all exist, and all thrive.

The best thing about Lost though it allowed me to meet some of the best people I've ever met. This blog would not exist, and I would never have got into podcasting. It's also likely I never would have fully embraced the world of GEEK and without that would not have met another group of amazing people.

On can certainly argue about the finale, and questions, and whether or not the show was worth watching but one thing is clear. Without this show, I would be a very different person today. To me, that is more than enough for it be my favorite Sci-Fi series.

No comments:

Post a Comment