January 13, 2012

30 Day Film Challenge -- Day 12

A Film by Your Least Favorite Director -- The Happening (M. Night Shyamalan)






I'm really not a fan of the "least favorite" categories, but a challenge is a challenge. I certainly could have picked Michael Bay for this category but that wouldn't really be fair. Bay sets out to make insane explosion filled expensive action movies, and he does. Shyamalan sets out to make psychological thrillers, and he fails horribly. His movies have gotten worse and worse every time, and it all came to a head with The Last Airbender. Mr. Shyamalan took an amazing Nickledeon cartoon that was filled with clever dialogue and story and turned it into a depressing(and kinda racist) story. I won't soon forgive him for that. 


Let us also not forget to mention The Village, Lady in the Water, and Signs. Yes, yes I know a lot of people like Signs. Well not me! The movie is actually pretty good until the reveal at the end! Spoilers for the movie but the aliens are killed by a combination of a horrible negative reaction to water, and Joaquin Phoenix's use of a baseball bat. The water thing bothers me quite a bit. Why would an alien race, who reacts to water as if it's sulfuric acid come to Earth without wearing any space suits? Why would be come to a planet where they could be defeated by super soakers, or a slight drizzle.  


So yeah, this wasn't as hard a decision a I thought.  I really don't like M. Night at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment