August 12, 2011

Geek Moment of the Day -- The Evil of the Daleks!





August 12, 2011

As everyone knows, I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who. I only started watching earlier this year, and fell in love with the new series. When I was done with the new stuff, I decided to go back and watch the old stuff. It's really GREAT! Cheesy yes, bad special effects yes, BUT as an Original Series Star Trek fan I'm the last person who should complain about special effects or camp.

So, why is this the Geek Moment of the Day? Well, earlier tonight I finished Season 4 which ran from 1966-67, and introduced the Second Doctor, Patrick Troughton. This episode didn't introduce him, it was the season final, but I really loved this serial. Only one of the 7 episodes are available, but some amazing people have reconstructed the other 6 parts and they are available on Youtube.

What I loved about this serial was it had my favorite aspects of Doctor Who. Great use of time travel, hugely important canon, THE DALEKS, the Doctor being a bit scared and not perfect all the time, great heroics by the Companion, and of course the brilliance of the Doctor being shown in the end. I won't give anything away about it, but I do think this is a serial that would be loved by all fans. The introduction to Troughton is a serial called "The Power of the Daleks" so don't get them confused, but I would suggest watching that one too. This serial also has several key events that while not directly connected to the new series, are clearly inspirations for many things Davies did with the Daleks during his tenure.

Oh, and don't forget...all who deny the DALEKS are SUPREME will be EXTERMINATED!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment