August 15, 2011

Alphas 1x06 Review


Episode Title: Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure
Overall Season Rating: B+
Episode Rating: C+

The title of this episode literally caused me to laugh out loud and say something to the effect of "Genius". Sadly, that was the only part of this episode that I really liked at all. This review will be pretty short since I didn't like the episode much, and honestly even if I did, I don't know what I would say about it. No mention of Red Flag, no new Alpha, and the new information we got about the characters wasn't all that interesting.


The episode centers around an ongoing FBI case involving a kidnapped girl. It is meant to look like it's part of some big cartel, so the FBI is very worried. Bill and Gary kind of fall into the case when Gary overhears the kidnappers video via his Alpha-power, and knows the location. This gets Bill excited because if he can solve this case, maybe the FBI will reinstate him. As we learned this episode, he was kicked out when he attacked another agent. There were some twists and turns in the investigation, and if this were CSI or Law and Order it would have been a decent episode, but this isn't those shows. I'm not watching Alphas so I can see them investigate a regular crime, that in the end is just for money.

We find out, that the father of the kidnapped girl's aide set the whole thing up as a money grab, and that's perfectly average. In the end it was solved simply by having Nina push her. A totally anti-climatic end to a confusing and uninteresting case. If it was all about the money, what was with the guy telling the girl to come back from the dead and let him know what it's like? Was that just to scare her? What good would that do other than to show he's a total psychopath. They also remove almost all the tension of certain scenes. We see Gary get shot, yet right away find it it's not even a flesh wound. Bill lets the bad guy get away, and is in a lot of trouble, but of course he saves the day anyway. I don't see anything from this episode that could matter even a little bit later on in the series, and that's a mistake.

The other story of the episode was with Nina and Hicks. Nina reveals that she accidentally pushed her ex-boyfriend to kill himself, and the police are still on her trail for his murder. Then, her and Hick have sex, or almost have sex. I wasn't sure since they both have their pants on when Rachel walks in.  Since they've been flirting since day one, I guess they couldn't think of anymore reasons to delay this. I did love the bit about Bill Murray's Caddyshack hat though. It just sets up a whole other level of her using that power.

I guess that's all I have to say about the episode. I hope next week brings us back to the actual Alphas, and this is not a sign of things to come. I don't want this to be a regular police procedural. We already have too many of those.  

No comments:

Post a Comment