May 24, 2011

House vs. house

This is the first of hopefully MANY Flashbacks reviews. These normally will not be very long, and only will contain certain things I noticed. This review is about the House Season 7 finale, "Moving On". As a Lost fan, that title certainly brings back memories. It was almost fate that it aired on the one year anniversary of the Lost Finale. That's the only connection though, this was a good episode, but not great.

House started to frustrate me in recent years. Mainly because the character of House(played brilliantly by Hugh Laurie) never ever changes. Every season ends with some event that makes us think "HEY, this could be the turning point for him". However, whether it's getting shot, going through detox, or finally dating Cuddy, it always ends the same. He's changed for a few episodes, until something else happens that forces him to revert back to the original House.

This finale was slightly different. Instead of a hopeful ending, it was the exact opposite. We knew from the start of the episode that he would do something so bad it forces Cuddy to announce "if he ever steps foot in my hospital again" he should be arrested. Turns out that something was to drive his car full speed into her house, destroying the dining room. The total shocking part about this was that he easily could have killed every one of them, including Cuddy's daughter. I think the show did a poor job showing this aspect. Yes he crashed through her house, and that's crazy, but House made the decision to possibly murder 5 people including Cuddy. To me that is totally shocking.

The problem? I fear they will do what they do every year. This will be a big issue for a few episodes next year, but then something will happen and House will be forgiven. I'm guessing it will be something like "huge health crisis, and only House can save the day". Personally, I think this should have been the final season of House. They have gone as far as they can with all the characters. So much so that Taub's story now is "my ex-wife and my new young girlfriend are both pregnant".

The writers of House are so lucky that they have such amazing actors in this show. If not, I would have given up a long time ago. I hope I'm wrong about the show, and next season is truly amazing. It's the only true procedural I watch.

Any thoughts? Post em.

No comments:

Post a Comment