March 5, 2012

Once Upon a Time 1x14 Review


Dreamy

In this episode of Once Upon a Time we finally learn about the other aspect of the show's favorite fairy tale, the Dwarfs. I personally really enjoyed this episode. I know there are people who don't like when the episodes appear to just be 45 min long commercials for Disney movies but hey, Disney is paying a lot of money for this show and I also love the shout outs. So deal with it. This week I thought both the Fairy Tale Land, and Storybrooke plots were strong. It was a smart move to tie Leroy's story in with Mary Margaret. That way you could continue telling her story of woe, but also still focus on Leroy and Astrid. 


Leroy and Astrid once again show a couple that fall in love immediately in Storybrooke because they were in love in Fairy Tale Land. His need to help her, and the rest of the nuns avoid eviction was also a nice touch. If I can ignore the questions of why fairies would become nuns, the story works because it's a simple TV troupe. We need X amount of money to stop Y from doing Z to us. Pretty much every show has episodes like that, and usually I wouldn't be happy about a cliche, but it works here. The reasons for him trying to help her, or spend time with her don't matter, the point is that after all this time of being the two drunk, and just being "gumpy", he now has something he cares about enough to do something to change.  

There is also more advancement with the far more tragic love story of Mary Margaret and David. Emma now seriously believes that David had something to do with Kathyrn's disappearance and Mary watch him taken away in a police car. However, Emma appeared off her game in this one. We know about her super power to tell if someone is lying, and she knows how good it is. She wasn't able to tell that Sidney was deceiving her several episodes ago, but her gift still works I think. When Sidney said that David is a very good liar, and phone records can't lie, I was shocked that she was cool with that logic. First, David would have to be a psychopath to lie about all this, and I think we can gather that he's clearly not. He may not be very smart, but he's not a psychopath. Second, phone records can't lie? WHAT? Forgeries are things she should be very familiar with and while maybe she can't prove it, it's very naive of her to take those records at face value. Regina controls everything in this town, and even if Emma thinks Sidney is working against Regina, she still should suspect tampering. So yeah, not pleased with Emma this week. 

In Fairy Tale Land we had a lot of fun being reminded how great the Dwarfs are. Of course I loved all the shoutouts and blatant Disney moments. What can I say? I'm a sucker for those moments. I thought it was clever that Dwarfs are hatched. Had this been established elsewhere? Cause if not I love it even more. It's so bizarre. I also love that they get their names when they get their ax. Poor Stealthy, if only you were more stealth. We saw all our friends, Happy, Dopey, Doc, Sneezey, Sleepy, Bashful and Dreamy. Dreamy? Yup, the title of the episode gets its name from Grumpy's former name, Dreamy. I also loved Amy Acker completely. I haven't said that yet, and I'm surprised it took so long for me to mention her. Both Nova and Astrid were lots of fun, and I hope we see more of them. The idea of a clumsy fairy just makes me smile. 

Their love was formed when her fairy dust influenced him to wake up early because he had a dream about her. Hence the name Dreamy.  It was so nice to see the other dwarfs so happy for him when he was ready to leave. It really showed their comradery and love for each other that is clear in the Disney version, and in earlier episodes of the show. Bossy however was not so happy. He makes sure that Dreamy stays by having the Fairy God Mother tell him that alone they can help so many people, but together they would not be doing what they are supposed to do. There's a reason why dwarfs can't love. The ending of course was tragic and sad, which is what we've come to expect with relationships on this show. 

I've said this before, but once again the two stories were in opposition to each other. Not as much as in some weeks, but it was clear to me. One thing that bothered me was when Leroy and Mary Margaret were talking and they compared a love affair that destroys a marriage, to him having deep feelings for a nun. That's insane. Look, I like Mary a lot, and hope things work out for her, but by any objective viewer what she did was very wrong. Leroy just has feelings for someone who he can't go out with because she's a nun. That's not wrong, legally or morally. It just sucks. I really wanted to tell Mary off in that scene. 

One last thing. Who was the old guy with the carrot? I feel like we've seen him before, but I can't place it. I also really would like to know WHO he is in Fairy Tale Land. Who had carrots? Bugs Bunny?(JK). 

Thanks for reading the review, post any thoughts in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment